Lodge Most was established on 29th November 1925 by seven master masons of the German speaking Grand Lodge Lessing zu den drei Ringen, which was active before the Second World War in Czechoslovakia. It was established as ?independent?. The prime reason for this was, that the two, then existing grand lodges, applied strict language and nationality segregation, what the members of lodge Most wanted to overcome. Hence the name of the lodge: Most-Bridge. The establishment of lodge Most in Brno followed in 1927; lodge Most in Bratislava in 1930, a masonic circle in Tábor in 1932 and a further Prague lodge, Baruch Spinoza, in 1933. The lodges formed the so-called Union of Bridges, which was transformed in 1932 into the Grand Orient of Czechoslovakia, created along the lines of the Grand Orient de France. The lodges were characterised by a multicultural mix. The ritual was performed in Czech and German in Bohemia and in Slovak, German and Hungarian in Slovakia. This practice had great success.
The growing threat of Nazi occupation led to relaxation of the language purity of the Czech grand lodge and to the integration of the several masonic bodies operating in Czechoslovakia in the second half of the 1930s. The Grand Orient of Czechoslovakia, with its four lodges became regular and merged into the National Grand Lodge of Czechoslovakia on 27.10.1935. Due to the upcoming events of the Second World War, masonic activities were discontinued is the autumn of 1938. Many masons were active in the resistance or on foreign battlefields and many lost their lives.
The activities of all lodges were resumed in the year 1947, but after the communist take over in 1948, the position of the freemasons became increasingly difficult. Finally, the Grand Lodge decided to discontinue all masonic activities of the 15 existing lodges as of 1 April 1951.
Czechoslovak masons had to wait for nearly 40 years to revive freemasonry in their country.
During the communist years they met only occasionally and informally. Of the 779 members in 1951 only 3% were alive in 1990.
On the 17th November 1990 the lodges Narod, Dilo and Most resumed their Masonic activities with a festive ceremony and in the presence of foreign representatives.
Exceptional credit for maintaining the continuity of Czechoslovak masonry in the totalitarian period goes to Professor Jiří Syllaba. Lodge Most, together with the lodges Narod and Dilo re-established activities within the framework of the Grand Lodge of Czechoslovakia, and Syllaba became the first pos-communist Grand Master.
Lodge Most fosters moral and spiritual development of its members. True to its pre-war international spirit, lodge Most maintains frequent contacts with several foreign lodges.
If you wish to get more information, please write to: